Thursday 12 July 2012

Warming up for the BOLOGNESE: home made tomato sauce

When I used to have that little quadrangle of soil called back-yard [I shell recall it in some other post!], and a Summer worth of its name, it was a pleasure to relax from late Spring on having some plants to cure and to care of. It is amazing how distant we are from a gardening mentality and how terribly accustomed we became of supermarkets. Last year for example I planted some cherry tomatoes when they were too many for a salad I had the idea of producing my own tomato sauce. Delicious.


I like them especially for their imperfections

As soon as June delivered us a fully rebirth of Nature, so nice that some robins made their nest next to the boiler pipe, I felt a yearn for this sweet red ambrosia. Casually, I found some intense red tomatoes on the wine in Tesco, and they were also Finest, if I am not mistaken, and so I made this Caledonian attempt. 


Produce a cross at the bottom of the tomato, 
and drop it for 15 seconds 
in boiling water: 
a trick to peel them faster.


Tomatoes will naturally produces their juice,
a sort of homage to the chef, encouraged by
basil leaves, a pinch of salt, 
a sprinkle of black pepper and a clove of garlic,
and roll of drums
a tear drop of honey
to mitigate acidity.


As soon as the sauce is ready, embellish with 
a silent river of extra-virgin olive oil 
and
KEEP TURNED UPSIDE-DOWN UNTIL COLD,
and it will produce the vacuum effect!


It is excellent on Penne, Spaghetti or Macaroni (Maccheroni),
but it may also be 
a very non-expensive but largely appreciated
gift to a person you praise.


Delicious on tortelloni ricotta & spinach:
add just some butter and they will become
(tortelloni burro & oro)


No comments:

Post a Comment