Monday 9 July 2012

Coffee, Bialetti Moka and the golden cup: deserved ritual pauses

When I came to the UK the first time I was doing an Erasmus, it took me four months to realize I should have brought a moka machine. Thus the second semester was more related to a coffee addiction, so that my Japanese flatmate, the day of my birthday, presented me with one of the best gifts I have ever came into possession: a Wedgwood espresso cup from the designer Vera Wang [ http://uk.wwrd.com/en/uk/wedgwood/icat/wedgwood/ ]. A present, which is now also a deeply rooted memory:


Vera Wang lace gold bond collection:
coffee cup with saucer,
which remained safely home
in a display cabinet

On the other hand, this time, I knew I was coming to study hard (true) and party harder (false), and one of my first purchases before leaving Italy was just the moka. Actually, it has to be said that after to the colour of the moka machine I then chose the rest of the kitchenware.


Her name is Fiammetta
three people size and 
with a definite touch of 
personality



The coffee I fancy is Caffè 14 Luglio:
yet also Illy and Lavazza red 
can be assessed with a high rate

(if you are curious, please, feel free to ask for tips)

I could not spot until now a proper cup for my coffee, but I think I will start hunting for it soon in a charity shop, and not because I am an hipster searching for heirlooms, but because I realized how many beautiful objects are thrown away in this country when people move house. For me coffee is not just emotional, but ritual, as the tea ceremony used to be in the UK. I am attached to a certain protocol, a certain cup, a certain brand of coffee, a certain coffee spoon, a certain sugar (fewer and fewer, I wish I could drink it plain), a certain amount of milk (yes I milk coffee, I apologize).


Actually a honey - jam spoon with pearl handle
 from a cheese set, but it has gradually become 
my favorite stirring companion,
here on a David Abulafia's work

My sister as well is keen on having the following mug, of a dark blue, at home with a robust tea spoon:




No comments:

Post a Comment