Sunday 1 July 2012

Linguine without pesto: molecular fridge recombination

The name linguine seems to be the a kind of sorcerer's enchantment. It is sufficient to evoke them and you suddenly see people's faces assuming a gloating appearance: linguine seem to be born for pesto, and pesto if well made with a marble pestle, pine-nuts, home grown basil and the right amount of garlic, pecorino, oil and pepper is the swan-song. I am afraid to ruin this thrilling moment, but today I won't tackle the pesto recipe, nor the mariner Republic Genoese legacy, which contributed to make linguine al pesto famous and praised: time shall come!

I only wish to propose a different preparation for linguine:


This is my favorite brand, 
yet I cannot deny that 
Barilla and several traditional mills also produce 
an incredible durum wheat pasta.

I went to the kitchen with the idea of grabbing something already prepared such as a boring tuna tin, but it sounded like a foolish banter. When I opened the fridge my mind started shredding the different ingredients to understand which would have been the best combination: BINGO! This is what came out:


Cut Wales-bow-like
or SuperMario mustache shaped 
organic mushrooms

Create a chess board with your 
smoked Beechwood ham 
(from Trieste actually)


Combine together in the pan with some extravirgin olive oil
and some drops of white wine 
(I ran out of it, but I can explain where it went)

Add a few frozen peas
(fresh peas would be better: their time is between
the end of May and mid-June)


Pour 50 ml of whole milk


Sprinkle with some black pepper and Parmigiano,
which will act as a thickening 
(adjust salt)


Drain linguine al dente: one minute less 
than what you find written on the package


Serving suggestion: I adore Parmigiano, 
it is my most evident deadly sin
(adjust black pepper)

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm... this sounds delicious! The flavor is very rustic, a "lumberjack meal" I would say, with a note of freshness (in both color and flavor) from the peas :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you profusely, Princess Isabel, I think you get exactly the soul of this dish: I can assure the outcome was a pleasing as the taste. I would suggest you to have a glance to the "miner's stew", a post of some weeks ago. I appreciated a lot the "lumberjack meal" as a free translation for "alla boscaiola". Thumbs up! :)

    ReplyDelete