Wednesday 16 January 2013

Ideas for a winter holiday season (1): emergency landing


Perhaps I kept myself out of the blog for too long, but I have a series of good alibis. In fact, I received countless inputs from my last stay in Italy, so now it is knotty to recollect them all. It would have been wise to mention them only through a list, I thought: a sort of skeleton-memento then came out and it describes both the pleasing commitments and the fortnight’s food gratifications. Later, from this rough top-hat-list, it is going to be easier to bring out some magic!

BA is one of the best ways to fly: comfortable airports and reasonable prices
are the major two virtues of this flag company.
28th December. Flying back to Bologna with British Airways. I ordered a Twinings Green tea (on request), apple juice and a cookie, followed, on the second flight, by an Urban Eat Hoisin duck wraps and a glass of still water. I discovered Heathrow Terminal 5. I found thinking when you are detached from the ground highly productive: height makes you high with no chemistry involved. You are sitting on an armchair in the skies: what a therapy. This day has been the most difficult of my life. In fact, I decided to cast some light on my deepest shadows, I was able to confess them to the person I love: usually we wish to highlight our merits to convey an image of success! On the contrary, confession is a sort of rudimental form of (psycho)analysis, but it works, since it forces you to acknowledge our flaws.


Decent: one would perhaps expect something more,
they could actually switch to organic stuff,
with a shorter chain of ingredients.

Entertaining: but the presence of palm oil in the ingredient list is a turn off.

29th December. My father explained me how the new Fiat Panda Natural Power he bought was working because of the new methane engine employed. Fascinating and environmental friendly! 

Panda Natural Power: handy, innovative,
intelligently middle class, and park-able.
With the brand new car, still smelling of dealer warehouse, we went to Natura Sì (Nature yes) an organic supermarket that magnified my perception of quality food: conceptually it is very close to Real Food in Edinburgh.

Natura Sì in via della Repubblica, Bologna:
unfortunately no shopping online is yet available.

Real Food on Broughton Street, Edinburgh.
There is another shop in the Tollcross area,
in Brougham St, 10 paces after the Meadows.
And they deliver food at home.

30th December. Aperitivo at Antica Bologna in via Marconi 71, Bologna: have a look to the patisserie http://www.areamarconi71.com/gallery/ Two dear friends joined Michelle and I from Modena, Harriett and Fabrizio, a wonderful and well assorted couple: I spent a day with them in London (and this is definitely another story) and I always regret our meetings are too quick! Campari Spritz was Michelle’s choice http://simonfoodfavourites.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/cocktail-aperol-spritz-6-jan-2012.html, along with my refreshing Mimosa or Buck’s fizz: prosecco + freshly squeezed orange juice:

The spritz ingredients:
4/10 prosecco;
3/10 sparkling water;
3/10 Campari (or Aperol) [less alcolic]
31st December. New Year’s Eve: a splendid hogmanay party in an Apennine hut, a friend’s family house, where the dinner lasted for two days in a row. The party came out after an elaborated brainstorming it is my intention to describe soon, since too many dishes need a proper description:

The ritual burning of the old year (Vecchione/old man)
in Bologna, Piazza Maggiore
1st January. Some people left the hut, some other stayed over for the night. The stars were so bright that you felt the crispy air of the night less cold. We had breakfast at noon and eat cotechino (cooked pork sausage) with lentils: I usually eat it once a year, but it is worth trying, although it is a bit anachronistic. Before leaving, we tasted some just milked cow nectar: an experience of farm-life.

A clay pot bubbling with lentils came out really nicely, unfortunately
it was more difficult to measure the saltiness.
2nd January. A carefree promenade took place in the wintery park next to my house: the plants were naked, but several types of birds accepted less reluctantly than other days the grains given to them by petulant children.

Called Parco dei Giardini that is to say Gardens Park,
a bit redundant, but it is incredibly relaxing and
located next to Via dell'Arcoveggio, Bologna.
3rd January. I encountered my neighbor's hens, of which I shall speak! Cooking at Michelle: while she was out, I managed to prepare different vegetables in the oven (peppers, courgettes and Jerusalem artichokes), served with brie cheese and some under-oil asparagus. Honey roasted cherry tomatoes completed the meal: how much brie I happened to eat!!!

I know it might be politically incorrect,
but the contamination of languages is brilliant!
4th January. Lucy, an artist, a friend, a great chef and bright flamenco dancer, hosted a dinner, where we listened to a Bach’s cello concert, eating a chickpeas soup with egg pasta and honey fungi, bresaola wraps and two desserts (a chocolate pie and a pear crumble). I must admit, although the desserts were fine, I was not satisfied by the result of my attempts: in the pear crumble the biggest variation was given by the employment of some nuts in the pastry! Lucy, Simone, Michael, Fabriz, and, of course, Michelle provided not just entertainment, but the warmth of friendship and some incredible gifts: a Valverbe infusion scented by licorice and fennel, a Leone milk chocolate tablet with whole pistachio nuts, and some hand made biscuits.

Bach proved an incredible entertainment,
the cello notes did not interrupt the conversation
and ennobled our spirits.

Leone is the only milk chocolate brand I am able to eat.

to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment